Religious & Hospital Foundations
Frairs, or Mendicant Friars, lived lives of poverty and begged on the streets.
Monks, or Canons, had stable lives based on their properties and lives of seclusion.
Hospitals cared for both body and soul, with prayers being as important as physical treatments.
Site is now the New Museums Site.
The gateway was roughly where Barclay's Bank (Benet St.) now is, with remains
of the foundations still under the 1910 Scientific Periodicals Library.
Originally founded in 1092 by the first Sheriff, Picot, at St Giles Church, next to his castle.
The Austin canons of St Giles church were moved in 1112
by the second Sheriff, Pain Peverel, to an area apparently known as children's springs - Barnewelle.
(It seems every year, at Midsummer's Eve, children gathered there for games, attracting traders.)
It became the largest religious foundation in the town
and gained the right to hold
The site ran from Newmarket Road down to the river, east of what is now
Elizabeth Way. The church of St Andrew the Less (now Christ Church) on Newmarket Road was associated with it.
The Priory site was levelled between 1810-12.
Site roughly opposite the
Granta pub, having previously been in Chesterton.
c1300 they moved as winter floods cut them off from the town, to
the site which is now Queens' College.
Site is now Emmanuel College.
St Andrew's Street used to be called Preachers Strret.
Site is now Sidney Sussex College.
For their first 40 years in the town they shared a house on Market Hill with the town gaol.
They constructed a
which still exists.
They were given a large site, including the chapel of St Edmund,
roughly where the Judge Institute - Old Addenbrookes - now is.
Founded in 1125 for old & infirm men by the Bishop of Ely, with Austin canons from Ely as staff.
Peterhouse started here in 1280 but the scholars were moved out in 1284.
By 1511 it was heavily in debt and was refounded as St John's College.
The chapel survives in a field just off Newmarket Road by the railway bridge,
the remnant of the early medieval Leper Hospital of St Mary Magdalene.
The Hospital was granted a charter for an annual fair,
which became Sturbridge Fair.
By 1279 it had no patients.
Friars of St Mary
Site now Peterhouse/Fitzwilliam Museum.
Later King Malcolm IV of Scotland, Earl of Huntingdon, added ten acres to the Nunnery and
Bishop Nigel of Ely another four.
The nuns had the right to have a stall on their land and then in 1150 a fair,
which became Garlic Fair. This right survived until 1808 when
Garlic Fair Passage was created (subsequently Park Street).
By 1497 the Priory had decayed to just two nuns, with rumours of dissolute behaviour,
and was abolished by the Bishop of Ely, who founded Jesus College instead.
It was a medieval custom to site churches opposite the gateways of colleges
(St Andrews - Christ's; All Saints Jewry - St John's).
However in many cases the churches are much older than colleges.
- All Saints by the Castle
- Was at the corner of Mount Pleasant and Castle Street.
The Black Death in 1349 killed so many that the parish was amalgamated with
St Giles and the church fell into ruin.
- St Giles
- Castle Hill, below the mound.
- St Peter
- On the opposite side of Castle Street.
- Now in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust.
- St Clement
- Bridge St.
- There was almost certainly a Danish (Viking) settlement here - the dedication is typical.
- Holy Sephulchre
- Or St Sephulchre or Round Church, Bridge St.
- All Saints, St John's St.
- Or All Hallows or All Saints Jewry (being in the 12th-century Jewish quarter).
After a major rebuild in 1820, the base of its tower projected over the pavement, with a through archway.
The church was auctioned off publicly and demolished in 1865 and a new one built in Jesus Lane.
The churchyard, to the south, is now a small park and holds regular craft fairs.
- All Saints, Jesus Lane
- Built to a design by G.F. Bodley and with Pre-Raphaelite decorations,
featuring work by William Morris, Morris & co., Edward Burne-Jones and Ford Maddox Brown.
- St Michael
- Trinity St., opposite the main entrance to Gonville & Caius College
- Holy Trinity
- St Andrew's St./Market St. corner
- St Andrew
- St Andrew's St., opposite Christ's College
- St John Zachary
- Where King's College now is, approximately west of the chapel.
- St Mary
- Great St Mary's, Senate House Hill
- St Edward
- St Edward's Passage
- St Benet
- Benet St.
- St Botolph
- Botolph Lane
- St Peter
- Now St Mary the Less (Little St Mary's), Little St Mary's Lane
In 1157, when still a young boy, he was confirmed as Earl of Huntingdon and Earl of Northampton by King Henry.