Web Page Design
- I design pages with these factors in mind:
- The majority of Internet users are paying by the minute/second,
so avoid pointless graphics and
give a text/graphics choice where possible.
- Pages should be usable with the Lynx browser, in general,
ensuring everyone can access them.
- Pages structured to make maintenance easy for me,
as well as being logical and allowing for developments I
have in mind for next year and beyond.
- In particular it should be easy to get to a specific item with the
Web browser of the Cambridge Interactive TV Trial.
This is an early example of the fact that Netscape plus Internet Explorer
aren't the last word in browsers - the Web for TV screens and other devices is coming.
- Why the web sucks II
- content, content, content!
- A must for all Web page authors.
- Usable Information Technology
- Jakob Nielsen's Website about best-practice in Web sites.
- Today's WWW - tomorrow's multi-media mediocrity?
- David Bank's articles about the Web
- Mirsky's Worst of the Web - sadly deceased as of 1-Nov-1996
- the canonical personal home page?
- the worst Web pages from self-styled professional designers
- Art and the Zen of Web Sites
- Some well-expressed tips
- Web Pages That Suck
- What's new & index
- Web page design philosophy
- Anglia's philosophy 1994-
- Pet peeves:
- Page counters
- almost all are implemented as image downloads, so many visits are unrecorded,
since I'm sure many people paying for Internet access disable automatic image download.
[Having said that, I am experimenting with
Web Counters where
I can't use an accurate counter.]
Most images are pointless anyway, especially on...
- Pages saying "best viewed via Netscape"
- this almost always means that a sad person has spend more time on form than content
- Pages consisting of a single giant graphic which has to be clicked upon to get anywhere
- Netscape frames: 99% of pages using frames fail to use them to
any good effect. One of the very few good users is
tour of McDonald's Web site.
- Java - it may be useful one day but it's just annoying at the moment,
as are animated GIFs.
Page last updated 23-OCT-1998
Index | Home