Cambridge circa 1280
The Hundred Rolls - 1278
14 leading townsmen formed a jury to supply details of the town.
However they ignored the University.
- There were 15 parishes, corresponding to the churches:
- All Saints by the Castle, St Giles, St Peter,
St Clement, Holy Sephulchre, All Saints (St John's St.),
St Michael, Holy Trinity, St Andrew, St John Zachary,
St Mary, St. Edward, St Benet, St Botolph, St Peter
- This was much the same as the pre-Conquest pattern.
- Religious houses & hospitals
- Barnwell Priory, Franciscans, St. Rhadegund Nunnery,
Dominican Friary, Austin Friars, Carmelites, Sack Friars,
Gilbertine Canons of Sempringham
- Hospital of St John, Leper Hospital of St Mary Magdalene
- 500 in total; 16-40 in each parish, except for the smallest
Holy Sephulchre and St Andrew's with 6 each.
- The Domesday Book in 1086 listed 400 houses, 50 of which uninhabited, plus
- Shops etc.
- 84 shops, including market stalls
- 16 inns
- 11 warehouses
- 41 vacant sites [fires?]
- 287, suggesting a population of about 2,000, not counting
the University & religious houses
- About a quarter of the population were farmers.
- At least 60 owners had more than two houses,
indicating the market for rented lodgings.