Humfrey, an architect, went on to acquire more property in the area. By 1845 he was in debt and he and his executors had to sell his bank and his Cambridge property over the next few years.
The mansion was demolished later in the century and its site is now Parkside Community College. However a gazebo still exists in the garden of no. 2 Emannuel Road and was restored in 1997 by the current owners, the City Council and English Heritage.
Jesus College was awarded most of the area of the Award. In the 1830s it developed New Square. The three sides have been kept elegant and symmetrical though the centre is now owned by the City Council.
Another early occupant was John Grafton.