The King Street Run, King Street
Real ale Bar:
- Lots of corporate wood decor and installed "wacky" personality
- Lots of games machines and loud music
- Standard corporate beer portfolio selection, including guests
- In 1995 introduced a time clock for regulars, with prizes for various
times clocked, for instance a free half of Guinness for every 5 hours
- Fun Run Gets Them Young
- In the Seventies as Whitbread's The Horse and Groom it was infamous amongst students as the worst pub in the
City Centre: the most basic of back-street boozers. It was always empty.
Cambridge University Science Fiction Society,
ever perverse, selected it as their Thursday meeting place for this very reason.
People who normally drank real beer had to drink Stella or Mackeson and the yellow & black
colours were said to be the inspiration for the design of the society's scarf.
- In the Eighties Whitbread refurbished it and changed its name.
- In the Nineties, for a few years, Banks & Taylors leased it and reverted to its old name.
| Ian's home page