About these pages
- Other London journey pages
- Home page & search facility.
My main motivation for the trips in 2000 was to catch
the many interesting developments, many funded by the Lottery.
Since 1998 I'd been trying to get back into the habit of visting London, as I'd
done many times in the 1980s (then mainly on business related to the DECUS user
group - Digital Equipment Co. computer users).
The third strand of motivation was to revisit places visited or visit places
missed in the period up to 1972, when I lived around Wimbledon and Kingston-upon-Thames.
I want to acquire the "getting about" familiarity with
central London that I didn'd need to acquire then, always being taken there by adults.
(As of June 2000)
- To get about central London easily it's useful to have the following handy:
and in my case a compact timetable booklet for Cambridge, Kings Cross and Liverpool Street.
- The free leaflet Travelling in London from Transport for London (formerly London Transport)
All the Travelcard zones and rail routes and the major bus routes
- A compact Geographers London A-Z or similar, e.g. Collins Mini Atlas London
- A laminated (hard-wearing) map such as Insight Map London Fleximap
- A compact torch
(I like the Flexi Torch)
- For those with NTL analogue cable TV in the Cambridge area:
- channel 28 is London ITV, carrying Teletext pages:
- channel 25 is BBC News 24, carrying BBC local news Ceefax pages: